Did you know that Universal Credit (UC) replaces the following benefits for new claims:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment & Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit/Working Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit.

Universal Credit is paid directly to claimants every month, including any help towards rent. If you receive UC this means you will be responsible for ensuring full rent is paid.

When a new claim is made for Universal Credit, there will be a wait of one calendar month plus seven days for the first payment. The DWP may consider paying Universal Credit twice a month if claimants will struggle with monthly payments.

Customers can get ready for Universal Credit by setting up an email address and opening a bank account. The claim needs to be made online at https://www.gov.uk/apply-universal-credit

If you move from one local authority area to another and are currently on housing benefit (HB) you will lose this and have to go on UC. However if you are moving within the area and are in receipt of HB you will stay on HB for now.

If you would like to know more about universal credit please visit  https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/